In Cops and Robbers, the children play at moderate to vigorous-intensity pace, as they must run to catch robbers or to run away from the police. The children also challenge their ability to change direction rapidly when running to catch robbers or avoiding being caught by the police.
- Build a ‘city’ with houses and streets. You can build it with benches, boxes, hula hoops, rope, etc. The ‘city’ provides different obstacles in the game.
- It is not allowed to walk on the buildings, just the streets.
- The children divide themselves among the ‘streets’. One or two of the children are the police, who will try and catch the robbers.
- If the police catch a robber, they switch roles.
- The police can hold a bean bag/small ball in their hand to mark who they are.
- The game is very suitable for snow, as you can create roads in the snow which they are only allowed to walk on. If the roads are shaped like an ‘Ø’, the robbers have a chance to get away from the police.
Objects to build a city with obstacles