The activity level of the children in this game is moderate to vigorous-intensity in that they carry water from one place to another as quickly as possible. The children cooperate on filling a receptacle with water.
- Give all the children a deep spade, sandpit toys or anything else to carry water in.
- Water can be accessed at one end of the play area, e.g. a receptacle with water or a puddle. At the other end, there is an empty receptacle or a bucket (the size of the receptacle must be adjusted to the tool used to fill it).
- The children fill the tool they are using with water and try to carry as much water as possible to the receptacle they shall fill with water.
- The children run back to fetch more water.
- Preferably, the adult could time how long it takes the children to fill the receptacle.
- The children could, for example, fill a one-litre measuring jug with water to see how long they need to collect half-a-litre and/or one litre of water.
- The children get wet, so this game is most suitable for rainy days when the children are wearing rain clothes or on a hot summer’s day.
- The game can be turned into a competition where each team races to fill the receptacle first.
Empty receptacle/bucket, etc.
Spades or sandpit toys
Receptacles containing water or a large puddle