In this game, the children must pay attention and react quickly when they are told to fetch the mysterious treasure.
- Divide the children into two groups/teams, who sit on each side of the play area.
- Each child is given a number (e.g. numbers 1-2-3-4 in each group).
- The adult places the mysterious treasure in the middle between the groups.
- The adult shouts out a number, and the children from each group with the number shall get up as quickly as possible and run towards the middle and grab the mysterious treasure.
- The child who grabs the treasure now tries to get home again without the other child catching him/her. The child with the treasure can only be caught if they are holding the treasure in their hand, and can choose to throw the treasure up in the air and grab it again to avoid being caught.
- If the child manages to take the treasure home, the group scores a point. If the child does not manage to take the treasure home, the point is given to the other group.
- The treasure is placed in the middle again and a new round starts.
- The game can be varied by the adult shouting out two numbers. The children with the numbers can cooperate on getting the treasure home again by throwing the treasure between themselves to avoid being caught.
- The game can be varied by having starting positions. For instance, the children can stand up, stand on all fours, lie on their stomach or back.
Mysterious treasure (e.g. a bean bag, ball, pinecones or something else)