In this activity the children gain experiences with letters as an introduction to reading and writing. They must find letters to write simple words. By running or moving around using gross locomotor skills, the intensity of the activity is increased.
- Bottle tops with letters are placed at one end of the room and laminated simple words are placed at the other end.
- Give the children a note of paper with a word on it. The children then run to fetch each letter of the word one after the other.
- When they have finished one word, they are given a new one.
- The activity can be done individually, in pairs or small groups.
- For progression in the activity, make more difficult words.
Letters, for example, milk carton tops with letters written on them
Laminated note paper with simple words